Alternatives to DACA

DACA Image

DACA is going away, but there are alternatives for Dreamers!

Ever since the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program started back in 2012, I’ve been advising my Dreamer clients to consider DACA to be temporary, likely to be discontinued during a future administration, and to use the time the program existed to work on finding alternatives. Fortunately, there are alternatives to DACA for many Dreamers!

For example, many DACA Dreamers who have reached adulthood are married to US Citizens or have another qualifying relative to petition for them. They can consider applying for waiver of inadmissibility and in many cases can do so while remaining at home in the United States. This is through a combination of efforts: your relative petitions for you with an I-130; you then petition to register for adjustment of status (I-485) together with an application for provisional unlawful presence waiver (I-601A).

There are other alternatives to DACA, such as victims of violent crime using VAWA, persons under age 21 who qualify for humanitarian relief under Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS), and asylum.
Finding the appropriate alternatives to DACA is a challenge. Contact an immigration attorney such as myself to discuss your real alternatives to DACA now that DACA is coming to an end.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *